[LakelandARC] Google Earth pushpins of fellow hams

Bill billkodak at verizon.net
Wed Dec 2 10:59:05 PST 2009

Mike,

The mapping site you identified was interesting. My guess is there are many of similar sites lurking on the web. For sure, mashups have great potential. I believe I mentioned mapping the local repeaters. That information might be of interest to hams in the area. I've been told their locations are secret, but I rather suspect they are a matter of public record, somewhere.

I made a change to the blog. I've been able to get the map to load more reliably, provided of course I wait for everything else to load before clicking on club members. Like most erratic problems, you are never quite sure. I would like to know if this works for you. The fix, if it is one, is not very elegant. :-) Let me know.

Also, Bill KJ4IAI suggested that clicking on More on a specific call sigh, bring you directly to QRZ without cutting and pasting the call letters. This is doable, with a little more work. I set Ernie's to go to his QRZ location automatically, and mine to my personal web page automatically. It works. Now it is just a matter of grunt work. Displaying first name along with call might also be nice.

Bill