El Nino Weather Pattern Is Here

Thomas F. Giella NZ4O nz4o at verizon.net
Wed May 20 14:30:06 PDT 2009

It appears as though we are now in a weak El Nino weather pattern. Just two
months ago we were still in a weak La Nina and the third year of a severe
drought. On March 19th the SOI was +7.7 and on May 19th was -7.7, quite a
reversal.

The last time that we saw such a rapid growth into an El Nino weather
pattern was in 1997. As many will remember the strongest El Nino ever
recorded was during the 1997-1998 period when tremendous record rains fell
causing extensive flooding across the state.

The recent heavy rainfall is tied to the weak new El Nino and we can expect
a wetter than normal summer and a very wet upcoming winter 2009-2010 if we
transition into a medium to strong El Nino.

We do see fewer hurricanes during an El Nino event but still quite a few
named tropical storms.

Take Care,
Thomas F. Giella, NZ4O
Lakeland, FL, US
nz4o at arrl.net
John 3:16 <><

CWOP #AR692/NZ4O
CoCoRaHs #FL-PK-18
NWS Skywarn #POL-10A

Florida & U.S. Raw Weather Forecasting Resource Links:
http://www.kn4lf.com/kn4lf13.htm
Lakeland, FL Daily Climatological Weather Data Archive:
http://www.kn4lf.com/kn4lf22.htm
Harmful Man Induced Climate Change (Global Warming) Refuted:
http://www.kn4lf.com/globalwarminglie.htm