Local ReconRobotics waiver applications on 70cm

Richard Sharp, KQ4KX kq4kx at arrl.net
Fri Aug 13 19:31:04 PDT 2010

Looks like Lakeland PD is one of the applicants for our 70cm band.  Now,
keep in mind the City of Lakeland hosts our repeater on their tower at a
very desirable perch.

I do think the ARRL has made a good case in punching holes in the
applicant's waiver request along with inconsistencies with the manufacture's
marketing practices.

As I understand it the use of these devices by swat units will be very
localized, in buildings, etc.  This isn't something that will be
transmitting 24/7 high on a tower.  This company already had this thing
designed and built for other markets in the world where this part of 70cm is
not used for Amateur use.  It's just disappointing the FCC didn't make this
company redesign the unit for a more appropriate frequency band.  More
specifically, the newly available "700MHz" that was vacated by TV
broadcasters last year is being pushed for public safety video and data
purposes.  Obviously, ReconRobotics doesn't want to redesign the unit if
they can get it approved for use in the US as it is currently designed.

Worst case scenario if these waivers are granted I don't think the 323mW of
video is going to make 70cm unusable for us but once the barn door is open
there will likely be other manufacturers pushing to use our frequency(ies)
for "commercial" interests.