Excellent HAM Education Resource

renkg4bas nmonllor at tampabay.rr.com
Sat Sep 4 17:47:45 PDT 2010

Hi Joe,
Thank you for the wonderful link. It comes as a gift from the Big Guy upstairs.
Early this week my son Ansel asked if I'd help him with learning Morse Code. Well, imagine my delight
.I told him that I'd do it but, that he should consider trying to get his ticket (meaning I'll try to upgrade to General Class).
We spent the last week looking up schematics for a trusty 555 code practice oscillator and QRP Rx and Tx equipment.
We spent the day home brewing (machining)a pretty neat little telegraph key and went to Radio Shack and got the components for the CPO.
We're trying to decide if we want to go with transistors or tubes for the radio equipment.
As of now we're looking at either a Super Tuna Tin ll transmitter with a Tuna Topper kit (offers 5 watts) and a Sudden Storm Receiver (also a Tune Tin radio)or the 12AT7 1 tube All-Band Receiver with a 6AQ5 Transmitter (5-6 watts output ) or a 2 watt Altoob (1 tube) transmitter.

Get this, Gabby wants in on this too!!!

At any rate, I told them that we should get to the LARC meeting this Monday and get the family dues paid up, and I believe Ansel is bringing the key to show the guys at the club.
Hope you'll be there so that we can do a little catching up.
Be well and hopefully we'll see you Monday,
Ren
KG4BAS