[LakelandARC] Climb a real tower

Carl Johnson cjohns56 at tampabay.rr.com
Tue Feb 21 10:44:50 PST 2012

Well Y’all  in the good old Coast Guard we had 1,365 foot Loran-C towers... open lattice, guyed tower with a cage in the middle containing a ratchet pole to attach your safety belt... There was NO elevator ride and you had to step up all 1363 round rungs on the way up.  YES you did carry your tools with safety lines on them... they got really heavy after about 30 minutes into the climb. I’m pretty sure the sailors, me included, didn’t get paid anything like the guys in this video.

Another tower story.. in Alaska (a territory then) the junior man had to climb a 200 foot range tower.. no cage no ratchet... just open rungs on the welded ladder... climb up two steps... take your belt loose... flip it over the next two rungs, snap it inn place... climb two more rungs... then do it again until you get to the top... tie yourself on... open the lamp cage & change the bulbs... Yea verily... some fun. The first time I made the climb.. I climbed through an undercast & was on top of it on the top of the tower... really weird... but this was long before the EPA and other work safety dudes got involved... Not many of died then either...!!

73s – N3TJ – Carl J