VHF SSB net

Jim Stewart kg4qgb at gmail.com
Sun Mar 15 10:34:56 PDT 2015

Just wanted to give a quick summary of the VHF sideband “net” that was held
Thursday evening, 3/12 here in Polk County.

Gary, K2OU, called the net together at 1845.  We were on 144.190, Upper
Side Band, and had access to a chat room courtesy of Dex, W4DEX to help get
everyone started.  For the most part, we had horizontally polarized
antennas – both loops and yagis.  Gary is located in NW Lakeland (Northern
line of EL98ab) and I am in South Lakeland just off S. New Jersey (NW
corner of EL97ax).

Gary stated the idea behind the net was “just to have fun” and to talk
about some of the things that we want to see in something like this kind of
net, and to share ideas about how to help each other out with building
antennas, etc. for doing SSB.

There were six official check-ins although we did hear two or three others
that we could not quite pick out of the ether.    Two check-ins were
mobile, Buddy, WB4OMG, was up on 98N coming back from running a 2m/70cm SSB
from the Polk/Pasco line (he will summarize his findings later) and
another, Dave, N4DLW, was on Hwy 60 almost in Brandon.  Not bad for running
2 meters simplex.

Other participants were Dan, WZ1P, and Cory, N4NGZ.  At one time I thought
I heard Scott, KK4VTM, but could not get back to him on my loop.

 I was picking Gary up – when his homebrew yagi was pointing south – at
about a S5 – he is about 6 miles due north from me.  Dan is about 8 miles
due north and I had him at about S3/S4 – I don’t know what kind of antenna
he was utilizing.

After the brief net several of us joined the LARC net where Dan (NCO)
talked about the SSB net, and at 2030 checked into the FLWSS 70cm SSB net
on 432.090 (Buddy was NCO).  Buddy and I are about 13 miles apart and I was
reading him at around S5/S6 on UHF SSB.

We are planning on running the net again next Thursday, 3/19, at 1845.  If
your radio will do 2M SSB, give it a whirl – if you don’t have a horizontal
antenna go ahead and try on your vertical.  One of the items that I would
like to do next time is map out station grid squares to see just what our
coverage is.

If you can – please join us!

73's

Jim
W4XDS at outlook.com

W4XDS/WQOF877
Amateur Extra
Member/Director, Lakeland Amateur Radio Club
   - WWW.LAKELANDARC.ORG <http://www.lakelandarc.org/>
Polk Co. ARES AEC of Net Operations
   - WWW.POLKARES.ORG <http://www.polkares.org/>
ARRL OES