Saturdays first LARC Hamfest

N4ESS n4ess at tampabay.rr.com
Sun Nov 8 09:16:24 PST 2015

Thanks to all that came and participated in our first LARC Hamfest/Tailgate.

The event was successful and made the club some money.  We had people with
some good ideas that carried them out the day of the event.  There has been
some feedback this morning from other club's members.  A few wanted it
earlier to start at 7am but mostly that they enjoyed the event and were
impressed with our first try at this type of event.  We surprised most
everyone with free coffee and donuts.  It was a nice benefit.  They also
were impressed with our selection of door prizes.  There were no negative
comments about anything just wanted it earlier.  That stems from places like
TARC Fest that start at daybreak and it was the Tampa guys making the
suggestion.  We had hams come from Hillsborough, Pinellas, Pasco, and Polk
counties there.  I am sure that I missed a few but will update that at the
Christmas party.

Congratulations to one of our own, George Gafford, KI4NBE.  He was the big
winner getting two of the drawings and two nice gift certificates.

The church was having a yard sale at the same time as the hamfest and it was
a nice addition.  Some of our people made purchases and helped their carpet
fund.  They have just put new carpet in the church and are working hard to
put the carpet money back into the general fund.  Pastor Rusty Herrington,
of Revolution Church, was pleased with the turnout and gave us a green light
for future events.

Kevin Rought, N4KMR, was the driving force in this successful event.  He
spent lots of time selecting a location and seeking out the nice list of
donors for our door prizes.

Our Vice President, Matthew Stevens, KK4FEM, his brother Andrew Stevens,
WX4AMS, were true assets in the setup operation of the event making it run
smoothly.  Several other club members were running, lifting, fetching and
doing during the whole event and it was truly a great team effort.  Thanks
to all.  Sorry if I didn't list all of the names but I am always a brain
cell short when it comes to remembering people on the spur of the moment.  I
will remember them all during the course of the next day or two.  I will
kick myself for not mentioning more. Our next on event will need even more
volunteers to fill in the gaps that we noticed this time.  We can never have
to many workers.

The VE team made a good showing and gave 4 exams during the event.  We have
had another great year with our VE team.

Finally to our donors.  They made all the difference in the world for our
bottom line with a special thanks to Al Sheppard, W4ZSC, and Roy Bucher,
K3YVS, with the help of Bob Siegel, WA4YFN.

Thank you all,

Rich Kennedy - N4ESS

President

Lakeland Amateur Radio Club