[LakelandARC] Aircraft communications 1915

Don Jeerings Djeerings at tampabay.rr.com
Sat Oct 3 09:44:41 PDT 2015

On 10/03/2015 07:57 AM, matthew at mrstevens.net [LakelandARC] wrote:

> All Things Radio <http://ak3q.com/2015/10/aircraft-communication-in-1915/>
>

> image <http://ak3q.com/2015/10/aircraft-communication-in-1915/>
>

> All Things Radio
> <http://ak3q.com/2015/10/aircraft-communication-in-1915/>
> I found this interesting post from Scientific American concerning the
> lack of reliable wireless communication in aircraft in 1915 – just one
> of those fas...
>
> View on ak3q.com
> <http://ak3q.com/2015/10/aircraft-communication-in-1915/>
>
> Preview by Yahoo

**Matthew:

It would be quite simple in today's aviation. We use the sky writing
concept, except the air craft could fly in a straight line and we use
smoke oil, injected into the exhaust. just down stream of the exhaust
valves. The exhaust flame burns the smoke oil and it exhaust as white smoke.

The oil valve is very fast operating and a series of dots is very easy
to write.

During the Sun n Fun air shows, we buy it by the truck load in 55 gallon
barrels.

However, now days, the issue would be, to find observers on the ground
that can read Morse code,  and to keep it secret, we would need to go
back to the Cryptographers.

That's a long way from a Quadracopter, and a wireless camera.

Don   KI4EFL