[LakelandARC] Diamond X300

Harmon Morgan wb4omg at frontier.com
Tue Dec 26 17:03:45 PST 2017

I have never used the ‘300. Over the years I have owned many of the Japanese ground planes. The reason I have owned many of them, is that that develop very high SWR - like 10:1 - and have to be replaced. Really, none of them are very good. The two piece antennas, like the X300 are the worst. Those joints just have an affinity for corrosion. - no matter how well you seal them or protect them.  All the Jap antennas seem to go bad after a few years - whether or not they are out in the weather or being used. They will go bad, just sitting in the corner of your garage.

Some years ago, I had a 23 cm Diamond ground plane, on my repeater. When the antenna went bad, it took a $1K PA, with it. I only use Jap base station antennas, when I have no alternative.

Buddy WB4OMG