[LARC-CQ] What do I do to protect my shack before a lightning storm?

Richard Grubb rgrubb1 at tampabay.rr.com
Mon Apr 15 15:31:45 PDT 2019

The form needs one other option ..... fill in the blank .... because I do not do any of the options on the form. I do protect my equipment.

On 4/15/2019 1:14:20 PM, LARC Blog via CQ <cq at lists.lakelandarc.org> wrote:
[Google Forms]
Having trouble viewing or submitting this form?
Fill out in Google Forms [https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfDeiZIrLthmhZx1fgZhZbaFO3P5dbwS1Ks-naHKB_fPO7uKg/viewform?vc=0&c=0&w=1&usp=mail_form_link]
I've invited you to fill out a form:
What do I do to protect my shack before a lightning storm? [https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfDeiZIrLthmhZx1fgZhZbaFO3P5dbwS1Ks-naHKB_fPO7uKg/viewform?vc=0&c=0&w=1&usp=mail_form_link]
In this brief questionnaire I am not asking what the recommended, correct, or best approach to take to protect your shack from lightning strikes is. I am only asking what reasonable precautions you take when you know a storm is imminent.
Email address *
Before a lightning storm I generally
* Disconnect the coax leading into the shack and place the unconnected end several feet from my house
* Disconnect the antenna from the radio and leave the unconnected end on the floor in the shack away from the radio
* Disconnect all my radio equipment from the house power source.
* I power down all equipment, but leave it plugged into the wall outlet.
* Do nothing. If lighning is going to strike, I can't so anthing about it, so I just hope for the best.
Have you ever had damage to your shack due to lightning? *
* Yes
* No
Send me a copy of my responses.