[LARC-CQ] LARC is now EchoLink capable!

Bryan Eveland beveland87 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 15 14:31:08 PDT 2019

What is the node or title of the link? Would love to check in on everyone at night or when I get out of work one morning.

Respectfully

Bryan Eveland
Lieutenant
Thorofare Vol. Fire Company; Sta. 6-1
FF/EMT
Trenton Mercer Airport FD; Sta. 34
C) 609-851-2837

  On Wed, Aug 14, 2019 at 1:00 PM, Lakeland Radio<lakelandarc at gmail.com> wrote:
Getready for Echo Link!

The LARC repeaternow has EchoLink capability. So why should you care? Here are some ofthe benefits that await you:

   -
You are cruising around town and would like to join in on the Wednesday rag chew, but you don’t have your HT with you, or you have it, but are out of range. Connect to the Lakeland repeater using EchoLink using your smartphone. EchoLink will make your phone function just like an HT.

   -
One of your good friends is a snowbird. He is also an EchoLink user. If he is logged on, his call sign will show on the list of active nodes, and you will be able to contact him by simply clicking on his call sign.

   -
Another friend travels a lot. He would like to stay in touch with folks here in Lakeland. As long as he or she has Internet access on their smartphone, and EchoLink software, EchoLink will allow them to monitor and transmit on our repeater from anywhere in the world.

   -
You wonder what it would be like to chat with a ham in another state or even country. You have only a Tech License, making HF contacts both very limited and problematic. With EchoLink you can do this. You are free to roam the world.

If any of thesecapabilities interest you, and you are a smart phone user, you willwant to visit http://www.echolink.org/faq_android.htm,for Android users, or http://www.echolink.org/faq_iphone.htm for iphone. There you will receive instructions on how to downloadthe free app. You must download, install and run the app first. Next,because this service is for ham radio licensees only, you will haveto verify that you hold a valid license. This requiresauthentication. The authentication process is straight forward. Justfollow the instructions.

If EchoLink is newto you, you will have a lot of questions. (Here Google is yourfriend. Try Googling Echolink and possibly some key words likesmartphone.) In the near future I will be publishing a list ofEchoLink Elmers. If you would like to volunteer as an EchoLink Elmer,please let me know, and I will add your name to the list.

Bill KI4ZMVbillkodak at verizon.net

PS Making this allhappen was no small thing. Many thanks are due to the persistence ofRich N4ESS, James W4XDS, and Don W3LR of the Zephyr Hills AmateurRadio Club