No subject

Thu Oct 8 17:19:20 PDT 2020

Here is a document I created that will cover most of the information
about this year's ride. It should answer most of the questions that a
would-be new volunteer might have. Those of you on this group most
likely have this information already, but I need your help in
distributing it amongst fellow hams in your area. Feel free to forward
it as you see fit. Thanks!

----------------------
Thanks for your interest in the 2008 bikeMS (formerly the MS150).

What is it?: A major fundraising event for the National Multiple
Sclerosis Society, which will be attended by between 1500 and 2000
bicycle riders. The ride raises over $1 Million for MS research.
Although some treat it as one, the bikeMS ride is not a race.

When is it?: This year's event runs on Saturday and Sunday, April 26 and
27, rain or shine.

Where is it?: the short answer...it starts in Winter Haven at Cypress
Gardens on Saturday, and ends in Orlando near Sea World. After an
overnight stay in Orlando, the riders reverse course and head back to
Cypress Gardens on Sunday.

Now for the long answer:
There are three routes on Saturday: 50, 84, and 100 miles
(approximately). Riders choose their preferred route. The more
experienced and aggressive riders typically do the 100 (also known as
the Century Loop), while the more novice and leisurely riders opt for
the 50-mile course. The Century Loop is offered on Saturday only--riders
choose between the 50 or 84 courses on Sunday.

Each route has a common start line and finish line. The 50-mile course
makes a more direct heading for the Lake Wales area via Chalet Suzanne.
Meanwhile, the 80/100 riders take a more meandering route through Polk
County (with the 100 course heading further south into Polk County on
Lake Buffum Road). In a near-circular route, they pass through the small
towns of Alturas, Lake Wales, and Dundee (among others) before merging
with the 50-mie riders. At Dundee, all riders continue on a common
course toward Orlando. Riders continue north from Dundee, into
Davenport, Haines City, and Loughman, before crossing into Osceola
County near Kissimmee. At Poinciana, riders make a northerly ride toward
Sea World, where food, fun, much needed rest, and a special performance
by Otis
Day and the Knights await them. Sunday's route is a complete reversal of
the course, except for the 100-mile route, which is not available.

Riders are supported along every inch of the route, in several ways:

1) Safety- the most critical part of the weekend. We must ensure that
all riders are safe on the course, and are also cycling safely. Public
roads are used for the event, and are still open to vehicular traffic.
Volunteers and riders alike, must share the road. In the event of an
incident, we will have a team of paramedics on hand, as well as quick
access to the 911 departments for each of the three counties on the
course. We will also have help from the three Sheriff's Offices, who
will provide traffic assistance in key areas. As an additional safety
measure, we alert riders to upcoming road hazards, such as construction
(which we will unfortunately have to face in some areas).

2) Mechanical- A number of local bike shops donate their time and
resources to provide basic repairs (like the inevitable flat tire). They
will provide whatever services can reasonably be done in the field to
help riders finish the ride on their own power.

3) SAG- This stands for Support and Gear. When either bike or rider get
stuck, the SAG vehicles carry them forward, either to the next rest
stop, or to the finish line. Bike mechanics will be on-hand at rest
stops along the way, so the tired bike can often get repaired on site.
Tired riders will be taken to the end, if they are unable to finish on
their own.

4) Rest stops- There are eight mainline (84 course) rest stops, plus one
on the 100 (Saturday only), and one on the 50. These stops provide
refreshments (snacks, power bars, water, Gatorade, etc), as well as
comfort items like
sunscreen, and portable toilets. Rest Stop #4 in Dundee will provide
lunch for the riders.

5) Supply Trucks- The supply trucks (two refrigerated, four ambient) are
critical to the weekend, as they transport supplies to each of the rest
stops. After providing an initial supply to each stop, they also help to
address shortages of supplies as the riders pass through, by moving
supplies forward to later rest stops, as riders vacate the earlier
stops. It's never wise to run out of food and water when over 1500
cyclists are depending on us, and the supply trucks provide valuable
assurance that we will provide well-stocked rest stops, until the last
rider passes through. Without these trucks, there is no event.

6) Mobile/stationary Spotters- Numerous mobile units provide additional
support on the course, acting as the eyes and ears along the route,
reporting the needs of the riders to the appropriate people. Stationary
volunteers are staged at key areas, to make riders aware of upcoming
safety hazards, and to keep them from going off-course.

With all of those positions, comes a need for a lot of help from the
amateur radio community, doing what we do best.

-This year, a command post will be placed a still yet-to-be-determined
location, which will act as a central hub for coordinating and
dispatching SAG, maintenance, and rescue crews. We need several
communicators who can keep up with the fast pace of calls coming in,
which must be quickly routed accordingly.

-We want to have as many vehicles as possible accessible via amateur
radio. Past experience has proven that our systems work in areas where
cell phones and Nextel units won't.

-Supply truck drivers are badly needed. You don't need a CDL, just be at
least 21 years of age with a valid driver's license. These trucks will
also have a passenger to assist with moving supplies. Either the
passenger or the driver will be a ham, but both will need to move
supplies throughout the day. Be prepared for a lot of heavy lifting.

-We need drivers for SAG vehicles. If you have a suitable vehicle that
you would like to use, we welcome your help. We also have nine
four-passenger pickups, donated by Greenway Ford in Orlando for the
event. Those will need drivers, preferably by licensed hams, so we don't
have to fill a second seat for support, that could be used to transport
a rider. In addition to the regular SAG vehicles, we will have two
"Super SAGs" on hand for the weekend. These are buses which will
transport large numbers of passengers off the course in the event the
ride must be cut short (bad weather, for example). These buses will also
transport riders from the finish line to the hotel on Saturday. These
buses will have certified drivers, so we just need radio support on
these vehicles.

-We will need a large number of spotters along the way, both mobile in
your own vehicle, and at stationary posts. Mobile operators can
volunteer for a portion of the route (covering the space between two
rest stops), or for the full route.

-We also need radio communications at each rest stop, to report the
needs of each stop, keeping them replenished throughout the day. There
will be other non-ham volunteers here as well...you won't be on your own.

-For those planning to stay in Orlando on Saturday night, please be
advised that you must provide your own accommodation. If you will be
joining us out there on Saturday night, please reserve a room as quickly
as possible, while rooms are available at somewhat reasonable prices.