How to display Zulu and Eastern time...?

marvin_johnson_33801 marvin_johnson_33801 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 20 13:30:14 PST 2007

--- In LakelandARC at yahoogroups.com, "wb4lca" <wb4lca at ...> wrote:

> Anybody know if/how you can display Zulu and Eastern time in the
> windows task bar simultaneously? (XP)

In the ARRL letter just received today, there is an article which you
may find interesting and possibly solve your problem.  I am enclosing
the article below.
Marvin Johnson KI4CDZ

 Last Minute Gift Idea: QLOCK

Amateurs involved in emergency communication often work in county,
state or even federal EOC's. Usually along with a wall full of
television monitors, you'll find multiple clocks displaying various
time zones. Often these clocks are synchronized to Internet time
servers. The clocks are very useful tools and impressive to look at.
Unfortunately for hams wishing to configure their own stations into
"ham EOC's", these displays are also expensive.

Instead, I'd like to recommend an affordable software solution,
called "Qlock." (Please note that I'm not connected to the company in
any way, just a satisfied customer).

Qlock allows the user to display small clocks on their computer
monitor for one or more cities in either the US or the world. The
clocks can be customized, including shape, color, level of
transparency, etc. They each display the time, day, and date. They
can be set to automatically adjust for daylight savings time, and
have other handy features. They have alarms that can be set to remind
you of important events in each time zone, such as alerting you when
that net control station on the west coast is due for an operator
relief. You can also attach "sticky notes" to each time zone, or add
custom names for each clock. Instead of naming the clocks after
cities, you can, for example, name them using the call signs of the
net controls, locations of the stations, tactical names, etc.

In their smallest size, they're still easily readable yet occupy very
little of the precious real estate on my monitors. And yes, they look
impressive. They have various versions ranging from the basic, yet
still useful freeware, to the "pro" version at only $15, and the
pricey but full featured "Gold" at $89. I recommend the pro version.
Right now, I have five clocks displayed on the shack computer: "UTC,"
NYC, Birmingham, and Los Angeles. Last night while standing by to
assist with traffic from the ice storms in Oklahoma, I quickly
changed one of the clocks to display the local time in the affected
area. Very useful tool. Download a trial at: <http://www.qlock.com>
-- Les Rayburn, N1LF, Shelby County, Alabama EC