Cold Weather Returning

Thomas F. Giella KN4LF kn4lf at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 12 07:20:38 PST 2009

Hi Phil,

I don't look at the GFSX 0600 and 1800 UTC model runs as they are always so
much warmer and drier than the 0000 and 1200 UTC model runs. Somebody is
goofing off on data entry on those model runs.

The 0000 and 1200 UTC runs have been flip flopping back and forth between
cold and cool and this morning the 1200 UTC run is back to colder again.
Remember that the temperature MOS are based on the 850 mb temperature and
this air mass is Arctic in origin and heavy and shallow so won't really show
up that well at 850 mb.

We are in for 5-6 days of cold to cool weather with a freeze for me here in
Lakeland and a hard freeze below 20 degrees for you in Gainesville. Actually
the hard freeze line could reach down to Brooksville and the freeze line
down to Punta Gorda.

It looks like the north Florida snow event has flopped but there may be an
ocean effect snow flurry from Jacksonville to St. Augustine on Saturday the
17th.

With a fairly progressive jet stream we will not see a long term persistent
cold pattern lock in.

Thomas