[LakelandARC] Field Day

KT2T - Mike Oliver kt2t at arrl.net
Fri Jun 26 06:43:16 PDT 2009

Hi Thomas,

Some folks don't check their email on a daily basis, and other folks whose
arrl.net email forward to a restrictive ISP that is implementing draconian
SPAM filtering could also prevent your message from reaching it's
destination.  There are so many reasons for a delivery failure that I can
barely enumerate them, but it does highlight that email should *NOT* be
considered a bulletproof method of communication and if you don't get a
response from one or two messages then a quick phone call will resolve
nearly any issue.  For some reason, the Internet-using population has a
belief that email has some intrinsic guarantee of delivery and while it's
true that you can request delivery and read receipts for email, those
options typically aren't on my default.  Even so, you don't know that the
recipient hasn't gone out of town on vacation, had their computer stolen,
lost their Internet access via a rogue backhoe, etc.

I am sad to hear that you won't be at Field Day and equally sad to become
aware of your medical conditions that have prevented you from enjoying the
hobby and club.  I would implore you not to be hasty in ceasing your LARC
membership over something as trivial as email miscommunication, and to that
end I will also be following up with a phone call to you since I do not
depend on email for critical communications.

Please reconsider your decision to part ways with the LARC as I know it
would be a great loss for the club.  I can't pretend to know how you value
the club, but I do know that I value YOUR contributions to the club and we
are better off with you here.

Thanks and 73,
Mike, KT2T

--