[LakelandARC] Re: LP EOC Net

George Mann gwmann at verizon.net
Wed Mar 21 06:15:41 PDT 2012

Speaking for only myself, as having been a past club president, this is a
healthy discussion; however, keep in mind:

One man's pleasures are not necessarily another man's joy! The object of the
club is not to get people to work or volunteer.

True, volunteers are vital to maintain activities, if the activities are
interesting to members, many will show up if asked. Just make sure their
help is meaningful. Some folks like to show-up for the experience, others
are more hands-on.

There are several factors that make for a viable club; attendance at club
meeting is one.  Participation at event such as field day, nets,
walk-a-thons, VE sessions, picnics/breakfasts, installation banquet are some
another's. If you start to run off members for lack of participation AT A
particular event, you will lose your financial base to run the club. The
club will also lose influence because there will be fewer members to tout
the brother/sisterhood and fellowship of the club.  You will lose recruiters
for new members. New members and new hams bring energy to the organization.

As I said the night I became president, the object of the club is to provide
enjoyment for members, not necessarily  marching to the drum of a particular
activity. The president of the club just prior to my first term had
destroyed club's enthusiasm by his insistence that the membership go along
with "his" wishes.  This year and the last three or four prior, the club has
offered many great programs and opportunities for the membership to have
fun.

George Gafford  is correct to be disappointed in his  assessment of the lack
of involvement on  the part of some; I feel this is due to his tireless
dedication to LARC. For his dedication, love and tireless work, George
should be recognized for his beliefs and efforts. He alone cannot push water
up hill.

Now, everyone, let us join together and have some fun. a little involvement
will make it more fun for everyone.

73 de George Mann KJ4UW