Can someone help Jim with this?

chestercarruth at yahoo.com chestercarruth at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 25 18:43:54 PST 2015

My first question is: Why do you need a balun? Second question: Why are you buying a dipole?
 I can provide the wire you need for a simple but very effective dipole antenna. The impedance will be in the range of 35-75 ohms which will work just fine into a 50 ohm coax with no balun. A folded dipole will be a higher impedance, requiring impedance matching by some means, not necessarily a balun.
 Bear in mind that the dipole antenna, folded or not, will resonate at only one frequency and that is where you would get a good match to 50 ohm coax. As you change frequency, the impedance will change and become either inductive or capacitive, depending on which way you move. You can change frequency a fair amount, depending on the band, and get by with the tuner in your radio......... The "KISS" method works very well.
 "KISS" = Keep It Short and Simple........ no balun, no store bought antennas, just string up a resonant length of wire for the dipole and feed it directly with coax........... Good Luck!!