[LakelandARC] Re: Can someone help Jim with this?

Bill billkodak at verizon.net
Mon Jan 26 05:20:51 PST 2015

Chet,

A balun is recommended for the Cobra Ultra-lite. This is a note that I just sent to Rich.

Also, make sure you log on to your Yahoo account frequently, just to work the kinks out. The more you use it, the better.

Note just sent to Rich:

      Rich,

      The current balun is recommended for the Cobra UltraLite antenna. http://www.k1jek.com/

      Jim has decided to go with the Junior, primarily do to space limitations. This antenna is similar to a center fed dipole and is fed by ladder line, hence the need for the balun. Prices for the 160-10, 80-10, and 40-6 are similar. Getting a 144 foot antenna on a 100 foot lot is more problematic. :-)

      Here is an excerpt from the site's FAQ

      Do I Need a Tuner?

      All Cobras require a tuner. In most installations, the auto-tuner built into your transceiver should provide sufficient tuning range. Because the Cobra presents a balanced load, we recommend installing a 4:1 current-style balun at the station end of the feedline (many external tuners provide a built-in balun)

      .

      Jim has done his homework on this antenna. He visited two hams who are using them, and got some hands on with one at Julian's (W4VCO) shack.

      This simple question was a great opportunity to do a little research for myself. I have two antennas, both dipoles, one with, and one without a balun. The one that was store-bought, with came with a balun, the other was a home brew that didn't require one. I have little in-depth knowledge of balun design, but do know that sometimes they are not needed, and in some cases make things worse when they are used.

      In Jim's case he is feeding with a ladder line, balanced, and needs to go to coax, unbalanced. Why a 4:1 I don't know. On the surface of things, the Cobra looks like a folded dipole made from three wire ladder line.

      Bill

      PS This might be a topic for Chet, but not at April's meeting