[LakelandARC] Fusion Repeaters

N4ESS n4ess at tampabay.rr.com
Wed Apr 20 08:42:25 PDT 2016

Roger,

There are Fusion repeaters in the area from Tampa to Orlando.  The input of K4LKL is both digital and FM.  Its output is all FM.  The EPARS repeater in Dade City, 146.880, is setup for both at one time. FM in FM out and Digital in Digital out.  You need to activate tone squelch to keep from hearing the digital if you are on FM.  I have used that one from the house and mobile.  The most activity is FM but there is an influx of digital on the weekends and evenings.  Two different modes using the repeater at the same time.  It works nicely.  The Fusion movement is the same as different modes have always been.  In the 60s AMers were all aghast at the SSB stations that were invading their space.  The SSB mode would surely never catch on.  Why would anyone want to sound like Donald Duck when you were not tuned properly.  AM now resides in the bands as nostalgia with a hardcore group of individuals that keep the mode alive.  I am glad they keep it going.  Digital modes come with each new manufacturers idea of what the digital standard should be.  Only time will tell how this plays out.  I have gotten into the fusion mode with a FT1DR and an FTM400DR.  They do both FM and digital with an added bonus of APRS.  I will tend to play with the trend as I only get to make this trip one time.  I have been a ham for 50 years and as with all good things my radio years will fade.  I hope to have several blocks checked in my ham radio career before my block is checked.

I don’t know if that helps but it is the way I choose to conduct my hobby efforts.

Remember there is always EME (Moonbounce), satellites, and JT9.

I will look around and gather some information for you and anyone else interested.

Thanks for asking the question,

Rich - N4ESS