No subject

Thu Oct 8 17:19:20 PDT 2020

can be broken off and sent down a property line as a single wire.
Those are called "laterals" Yes, you will see a device at the break out
point, and this is a fuse. BUT the caution needs to be conveyed.
These fuses are in the 60-100 amp range. This is at 7200 volts. On top

of that, anytime a tree falls across a line, or a pole gets hit, there

is a circuit on the "feeder" at the substaion that AUTOMATICALLY closes the
fedder back in, and TRIES to restore the power to the area.

Some of these "reclosers" can operate 2-5 times, depending on how they

are set. Now from the substaion end, the protective device is set for the
full fault capabilites of the line. In the case of BPU, this can be set at
600 AMPS, and multiples of that value. The protective devices are set for
what is called a "time" or and "instantaneous"
operation. Picture a fast blow fuse and a slow blow, and you will understand
the difference in the settings. These setting are at multiple of the 600 amp
value. So, if there is a direct short, then it

will not trip until it reaches a value at, oh lets say, 8 times that value.
So we are looking at 4800 amps. and this is at 7200 volts and lower. So, it
trips, then it energizes it AGAIN. The possiblity of survival is slim and
none.

Now remember how I said they were installing a FIBERGLASS antenna?
Well guess what. It is metal inside. Yes, fiberglass does not radiate as we
all know. Hence the metal. That is what caused the accident.
They got too close to the line (remember your 'magnetic lines of flux'

theory? If not, look it up on the web). There is a minimum approach area
that MUST be followed. This changes for ALL voltages. This distance must NOT
be broken. If it is a flashover will happen, and it is not pretty.
Electricity will find the shortest path to ground. In this case it was a
couple of men.

Folks, this is nothing to take chances with. In my almost 30 yrs as a ham,
and 27 yrs in the power utility field, I have seen way too many "accidents."
Stop, look and if it is close or SEEMS that way- DON'T.
Find another place. High voltage lines are NOT forgiving. Your life depends
on it. You always hear "it is the amps not the volts" well I can tell you
when you get at these levels, who is going to argue what killed the person
who had the accident. PLEASE ,PLEASE follow the warnings. ANYWHERE close is
too close.

Stay safe, and I hope we can enjoy many more years of hamming.

Thanks Guys,

Chuck Kraly, K0XM